Mar 10, 2009

Week 8- Delicious Food in Class...

I will admit that initially I was very skeptical to trying both dishes. Yet, to my surprise both were so good I had to go back for seconds. I especially like the Wild Rice Casserole. I feel that the dish would have been even better served with buffalo meat, and I now want to try buffalo. I did some research on buffalo as a source of food and I found that they have been since the 1500’s for natives. The buffalo supplied virtually everything that the Plain Indians needed to stay alive; food, clothing, tools, and housing. However, the arrival of Europeans made it increasingly difficult to hunt buffalo for food because of hunting for sport. Buffalo meat is significantly higher in protein and lower in fat, cholesterol, and calories than most other meats. All buffalo meat can be eaten, and it is noted that the tongue is the best part of the meat.

1 comment:

  1. Ryan, I thought it was pretty interesting to read this because I didn't realize that absolutely everything within the buffalo could be eaten. Beyond food, however, the fact that the buffalo could supply the Indians with so many things for daily life is pretty incredible. It's so unfortunate and wrong that people could want to hunt these amazing creatures simply for sport. I couldn't imagine how this appeared to the Indians...to watch as foreign people came in and killed animals that were vital to their survival. This was just plain ignorance on the part of the Europeans, for they could have used these animals as well to better their chances at survival rather than shoot them for game.

    ReplyDelete